Monday, February 15, 2010

Happy 5th Birthday Camryn!

Dear Camryn,
Happy birthday, my big girl. I know I say this every year, but I can't believe that another year has gone by. You now need an entire hand to show someone how old you are. How can that be???


If I step back for a moment, and really watch you, I guess I can see it. You look older, somehow. Your babyish features are fading, and I think you've gained all of your height this past year in your legs. Suddenly, you seem long and lean. As you've grown, you've learned to love lots of new things too.


You love reading. You have recently learned to read, and I don't know how you've done it!? You have worked a lot with letters, and sounds, and even sight words at school, but you sound out words, and use other reading strategies all on your own. It amazes me, because we did not sit you down and "teach" you these things. You've just picked them up and absorbed them on your own, and you just can't seem to get enough. You are 100% intrinsically motivated to succeed at reading, and I love that.

You love ballet.
You adore Miss LeaAnn and her positive influence on your life. You lecture me on the correct pronunciation of "arabesque," and then demonstrate other moves I won't even try to pronounce. You are now working at the barre, watching your form in the mirror, and loving every minute of it. :)

You love Taylor Swift.
You sing her songs, you dance to her songs, you know all the words to her songs, and you are intrigued by her videos. Something about her has captured your attention, and I swear that the world stops turning for you when the song "Love Story," comes on.

You love playing with your baby sister.
The two of you now really play together. Mostly pretend. Mostly pretend games where you are the one in charge (ie, Mommy, teacher, animal trainer, etc.) I am so proud. (Sniff.)

You've come a long way this year, baby girl, and we are so proud of you. Your Daddy and I are both thrilled and hesitant to send you off to Kindergarten this fall, but you my dear, are just plain thrilled. You approach everything with such excitement and passion, and we can't wait for you to "Wow" us again.

Happy Birthday, Sweet Pea. We love you.
Love,

Mommy & Daddy

1 comment:

Tiffany Larson said...

Sydney LOVES Taylor Swift, too! I'm actually glad because I like her too - Boz and nursery rhymes were getting a little old!