Sunday, March 7, 2010

Home Sweet Home #4 (a.k.a. I hate stupid people)

Although I have no photo to post this time around (the outside looks pretty much like it did a week ago), progress HAS been made at the house. (And it better have, with just over two weeks to go before we're supposed to move in!)

We had our first major hiccup this past week, though. It's a long and tedious story. One I'm sure no one cares to hear the finer details of. The short version, in a nutshell, is that the builder installed the WRONG woodwork, doors, hinges, and hardware in the ENTIRE HOUSE. Now this wouldn't be such a big deal if we had a little time to play with here. But we are supposed to move into the place in TWO WEEKS, people! And we have to be out of our "old" house 3 days after that. And they say that placing a new order and replacing everything will put us back at least 4-5 days. Um, WRONG. Not. An. Option.

So.......even longer story shorter, we have proposed a compromise to the builder, to compensate for their stupidity. We will live with the woodwork (SIGH. It's actually very nice, just not the style we originally chose), and hinges and hardware (I actually kind of like those...don't tell the builder), but they WILL replace those darn doors. Because I don't want to look at every door in every room of my house every day for the rest of my life and hate them and wish I had had my monstrous temper tantrum in front of the builder himself instead of in front of my co-workers, which is what happened last Friday. (Whew!)

The broker/rep we work with seemed to think that was "reasonable," but of course, has to clear everything through the builder boss-man, so we should hear by Monday whether this is acceptable. (Just to be clear...if it's not "acceptable," then he's going to wish he had left town, because the catastrophic damage caused by the epic limb-flinging, obscenity-screaming, and general hysterics coming from my direction will in fact, affect him greatly. And Lord help the man if I ever lay eyes on him myself.

In any case, I'm still learning the art of being flexible (I like things my way) and adapting to change (not my forte), as well as being patient (I pretty much suck at it), while we continue to pack boxes, order blinds, clean up the house, hire movers, ease anxiety, go to the dump, etc, etc, etc...

Wish me luck.

No comments: