We put a lot of thought into this move and how it would affect the girls. However, admittedly, most of that thought was directed Camryn's way. She tends to be more rigid in her ways, attached to her schedule, and upset when things change. She's also old enough to understand what this big change meant to her daily life. Aubrey's always so willing to go along for the ride, and she's so young, I guess we didn't think to prepare her more.
Tonight, as I was cooking dinner, a full nine days after the first boxes were brought into our house, Aubrey broached the subject with me out of the blue.
"Mommy, I weady go home," she said matter-0f-factly.
"What?" I replied.
"I weady go bye-bye, go home," as she pointed out the front window at our car.
"But sweetie we are home. This is our new house."
"No. I weady go inna car. Go bye-bye."
I wasn't sure exactly what to say, so I stalled for a minute, gave her a big hug, and then distracted her. I guess I'm not quite sure how to explain to my two-year-old that we're not going back to our old house. That this really is where we are staying. That we're not on vacation...
Any suggestions?
2 comments:
Oh sweetie, how sad. She was such a good sport about this whole adventure. Little did she know, it was permanent. Extra hugs, a consistent routine, some fun times in the new house will take care of it.
Oh dear. I know, send her to Grandma's house to get loaded up on sugar. Then you'll have different issues to distract her.
Post a Comment