Thursday, February 3, 2011

Fire station field trip

"I need you to keep your hands to yourself, please. Thank you."

That phrase must have exited my mouth at least fifty times today, for it was the much anticipated kindergarten field trip, and I was charged with the supervision of six wild, wiggly, giggly kindergarteners.

Camryn's class has been studying studying community helpers, and so Mrs. Doughty planned a visit to the post office and the fire station. It seemed like such a simple idea, yet with 24 kinders in tow...it was definitely somewhat chaotic.

The first stop was the post office, where we purchased a stamp for each student, and they were each able to mail the letter they wrote earlier this week. We also did a "number hunt" amongst the post office boxes, and managed to scare the you-know-what out of some unsuspecting patrons, as they innocently tried to get their mail amidst the confusion. As we exited the building, and the kids waved furiously at the security cameras, Mrs. Doughty and I had a good laugh about the folks on the other side of those monitors, who must've gotten an eyeful today. :)

Next stop: fire station! The kids got a tour of the living quarters: kitchen, family room, bunks, and even the bathroom, before we headed out to see the trucks! Do you know the difference between a fire truck and a fire engine? Apparently, a truck carries water and hose, while an engine carries a ladder. Who knew?

We wrapped up our visit with a walk-through of the inside of the truck (not engine), and then a demo of all the gear the firefighters must get on, in less than one minute, before responding to a fire call.

By the end of my three hours with the kinders, I was ready to head back to my self-sufficient fifth graders. How spoiled I felt as I returned and they were independently working in groups of 3 and 4, reading, and responding to their text. And so again, I made sure to thank Camryn's teacher for all that she does. Because it's a lot. And it's often. And it's exhausting. And I don't know how she does it day after day. She must be a saint.







No comments: