Monday, June 2, 2008

Wires and wild hair

Aubrey did AWESOME for her EEG!!!

When we arrived for her appointment, she was definitely tired, a little fussy, and ready for a nap. The technician led us to a dark room with an adult size hospital bed inside. There, we swaddled Aubrey, gave her her pink binky, and lay her on the bed. I sat on the bed with her, and the technician raised it significantly so that she could reach Aubrey more easily.

Our baby girl cooperated well while the technician painstakingly used an exfoliant on each area of her scalp where an electrode would be attached. She then used a glycerin based paste to adhere the electrodes to Aubrey's scalp. I think she said she attached a total of 27!

After a brief bout of fussiness to tell us, "I've had enough! Let me go to sleep already!" Aubrey took a little snooze on her giant bed, while we basically sat and watched her sleep (with 27 wires coming from her head---weird), and made small talk with the tech. Towards the end of the test, she placed a strobe light above the bed that blinked at different frequencies. I guess this was to see if Aubrey's brain would respond with a seizure (which it didn't.) She didn't even open her eyes or flinch at all (though both Brian and I had to look away to keep from getting seasick at the sight of it.)

When the test was done, the lady removed all of the electrodes, and wiped some of the gooey paste from Aubrey's hair. Even though I know Aubrey was not exposed to any electricity or other systemic shocks, we probably could have fooled people as we walked through the lobby, as her hair stood on end, every which way, thanks to the exfoliant and adhesive. I hope we didn't scare anyone!

I was so proud of my baby girl. She did exactly what they needed her to do, and was never bothered by any of it. I think the only damage done was to my nerves as I waited all weekend to get the test over with. We should know by Thursday or Friday what the results are. I will be sure and update here so that everyone has the latest info.

Thank you so much to all of our family members and friends who have called, emailed, and sent good thoughts our way. We are sure our healthy baby girl will be OK. We just want to be sure and explore all possible causes for her episodes. As for the rest of today, I think I'll be spending some time washing Aubrey's hair! :)

4 comments:

Unknown said...

That is funny!
I'm so happy that Aubrey did great!
See you Friday!

-Sarah Doan =)

Will and Sandy said...

Good girl, Aubrey! We're still praying for you.

Jessica Baker said...

We need a picture of her hair today! :)

Erickson Family said...

I am so glad it went well. Good girl.